Is the phone on the seatback in an airplane a mobile phone? How is it possible that so much was spent to install those things without somebody suggesting that people wouldn’t feel comfortable using them. When was the last time you saw one in use? When was the last time you saw two people inside a telephone booth? Proximities matter. Being on the phone puts you in a conversational space that creates its own version of shared space, even though the person at the other end of the phone is physically absent. And any situation that creates an eavesdropping situation for others will create enough potential discomfort that most of us will seek out a more private space from which to make our calls.
- Principles of Social Interaction Design?
- Designing Social for the Enterprise
- Social design of the collaborative economy
- Mirror, surface, window – three modes of the social screen
- Gravity7 to Enterprise…UX and social in the workaday world
- The conundrum of corporate social media use
- Enterprise systems of engagement — social designers needed
- Apple, the rise and fall of “aura,” and the social brand image
- Big UX, small UX
- Instagram profiles: the social image
- The system that breaks is not the system that repairs
- Beyond the Social Object
- The medium and its messengers: story-telling and social media
- Marketers may talk value, but user experience should not
- Zen, and the art of game mechanics
I am currently UX lead and manager at DeloitteDigital, San Francisco.
I make your social media work better for people. Social Interaction Design (SxD) is user-centric approach to social media design, implementation, and strategy that accounts for how different kinds of users engage with social media, and how sites and application design and execution lead to emergent social practices. It applies to user experience design (UX), interaction design (IxD), user interface design (UI), and information architecture (IA). It draws on insights from psychology, sociology, anthropology, communication theory, and media theory. I am available for consulting to design agencies, social media agencies, startups, and social media campaign managers.
Founder, SxdSalon>, a group blog